Registration Information 2019-20
Register by 9/30 to avoid $50 late fee that takes effect 10/1
LMYA Basketball 2019-2020-Some changes highlighted below
LMYA basketball is a fun, skill development-oriented basketball league. All practices and games will be in Lafayette or Moraga and held on consistent days and times. The program is open to girls and boys, begins in 1st grade, and continues through 8th grade. 1st-3rd graders can request to be on teams with friends, while 4th- 8th grade teams will be divided evenly to achieve reasonably balanced teams.
Philosophically and developmentally, we believe that smaller team sizes and ½ court 3v3 basketball develops skills most effectively and is a really fun style of play for the kids. In half court games with small teams, all children touch the ball frequently leading to more opportunities for significant skill improvement. First thru third grade teams will have teams of no more than 8 players and games will be ½ court 3v3 (splitting teams of 8 into two smaller 4-person squads on game day). Smaller teams and ½ court play allow coaches to focus on teaching fundamental ball handling, shooting, and defensive and offensive strategies without needing to spend time on the complexities of full-court offensive and defensive play (which can take up 50% or more of practices in 5v5 leagues).
1st and 2nd graders will have a single 75-minute game/practice each weekend.
3rd graders will have a weekday practice and play three or four 3v3 games each weekend over the course of 90 minutes.
4th thru 8th graders will have no more than 10 players per team and will play 5v5. Players will learn the fundamentals of full court basketball in addition to building essential skills. Each team will have one week day practice and one weekend game.
There will be separate boys and girls divisions for each grade 1st thru 8th where numbers allow (some divisions may be combined if necessary).
- Evaluation day for New 4th thru 8th grade players will be October 6th Stanley Middle School Gym. Schedule below-(this is not a tryout! All players regardless of skill level are welcome). 4th thru 8th grade-Only New players need to come to be evaluated. If you played on an LMYA team last season evaluations are not required. Schedule: 4th grade boys-12pm-1230pm; 4th/5th grade girls-1245pm-115pm; 5th/6th grade boys-130pm-2pm; 6th/7th/8th grade girls & 7th/8th grade boys-215pm-245pm
- First game November 16th, last game February 22nd for 1st & 2nd grades & February 29th for 3rd-8th grades. Practice for 3rd-8th grade starts week of November 4th.
- All divisions 3rd-8th will have one practice per week, day determined by coach and gym availability (gyms available to us no earlier than 5pm), and one game per week on Saturdays. 1st & 2nd grade will play and practice on Saturdays only.
- Clinics will be provided for all age groups during the season
- All players receive full uniform
- 1st & 2nd graders receive a reduced size basketball (your coach will hand out at first meeting)
- We need coaches! Please consider signing up for coaching during the online registration process of your player. We provide free coach clinics-please see coach page for more info.
NEW 3 V 3 INFORMATION FOR 1ST THRU 3RD GRADERS
For more information about 3v3 basketball:
- NO JEWELRY OF ANY KIND IS PERMITTED DURING GAMES OR PRACTICES-THIS INCLUDES PIERCED EARS
- TAPING EARS IS NOT ALLOWED AS A SUBSTITUTION FOR REMOVING EARRINGS. WE SUGGEST GETTING EARS PIERCED DURING THE OFF SEASON OF ALL LMYA SPORTS.
Regular Registration Fee
Registration fees are:
- $270 per player in 3rd-8th grades
- $240 per player 1st & 2nd grade
Discounts for 3 or more player given at checkout as well as volunteer discounts.
All players registered on time will be placed on teams.
All registrations are online.
Pre-season until October 20
|Conflict with another sport||Full Refund -Minus a $10 non-refundable processing fee|
|Medical||Full Refund -Minus a $10 non-refundable processing fee|
|Other||$35 Processing Fee|
During season (after teams are formed)
|After October 20||No Refund|
Refund requests must be submitted in writing. Please click here for withdrawl form- basketball